- August 4, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Compensation
The Pay Transparency Act, 2018 is enacted. The Act establishes requirements relating to the disclosure of information about the compensation of employees and prospective employees.
As of January 1st, 2019, all Ontario employers will be:
- required to post the salary rate or range for all publicly-advertised job postings;
- barred from asking a job candidate about their salary history; and
- prohibited from reprisals against employees who discuss or disclose their compensation.
In addition, larger employers (100+ employees) and Ontario Public Service (OPS) employers will be subject to specific pay transparency disclosure measures, as follows:
- required to track and report compensation data / gaps based on gender and other diversity characteristics to the ON government by May 15th of each year (format / content of this reporting will be determined by the ON government over the next few months); and
- required to publicly post that data within their own workplaces, in addition to submitting it to the government – the government will also post / publish each employer’s pay transparency reports for public reference.
The transparency disclosure measures will be phased in over time, starting with OPS employers in 2019, then employers with more than 250 employees in 2020, and those with 100+ employees in 2021.
Employers can access the latest version of the Pay Transparency Act at this link.
We’re here to help!
LINK HR is the outsourced Human Resources Department of small and mid-sized organizations in Ontario. We are a team of certified HR Professionals that provide on-demand solutions for: hiring, developing, and retaining talent; employment law compliance; managing performance; health, wellness, and safety; and compensation. Contact us today for a complimentary consultation.
This post/blog is made available for the purpose of providing general information or awareness, and not to provide specific information, legal advice, or interpretation of the law for any organization or reader. LINK HR has made every attempt to ensure the reliability of the information provided, however no warranty of accuracy, expressed or implied, is provided. If reference links are provided, readers should be aware that these website addresses may change over time.