- July 8, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: HR Policies
On May 30, 2017, the Ontario government announced its intention to amend the Employment Standards Act with The Fair Workplaces, Better Job Act, 2017. Some of the major changes proposed are as follows:
- Minimum Wage Increases beginning on January 1, 2018 at $14.00 per hour and then $15.00 per hour on January 1, 2019. Currently the minimum wage is $11.40 per hour.
- Increase of Paid Vacation to 3 weeks after 5 years of service with the same employer.
- Equal Pay for Casual, Part-time, Temp, and Seasonal employees performing the same job as a Full-time employee.
- A change to the formula to calculate Public Holiday Pay.
- Employees with 3 months of service able to request schedule or location changes without fear of reprisal.
- Employees with 3 months of service able to refuse shifts without repercussion should they be given less than four days’ notice by their employer.
- Personal Emergency Leave (PEL) now applies only to employers with 50 or more employees. This Act proposes that all employees be entitled to 10 PEL days, with 2 being paid, per year.
For more information, you may wish to visit https://news.ontario.ca/mol/en/2017/05/proposed-changes-to-ontarios-employment-and-labour-laws.html.
The Human Resources Consultants of LINK HR assist organizations attain their goals by implementing people solutions that link to business strategy. Please visit our website at www.linkhr.ca to subscribe to our mailing list for valuable HR Tips and Information.
Contact us by phone at (416) 565-9876 or by email at email@example.com for more information about our services and solutions.
This post/blog is made available for the purpose of providing general awareness and information, and not to provide specific information, legal advice, or interpretation of the law for any organization or reader. LINK HR has made every attempt to ensure the reliability of the information provided, however no warranty of accuracy, expressed or implied, is provided. If reference links are provided, readers should be aware that these website addresses may change over time.